Friday, August 29, 2014

Transformers: Windblade Issue 1

Art by Sarah Stone, female creative team
Windblade, Issue 1, Stone Cover
It's been a while since I read Transformers, but when I found out about the creative team on Windblade, I immediately picked it up.

Transformers: Windblade features the talents of two creative women, writer Mairghread Scott and artist Sarah Stone.


There are plenty of good interviews to be read in addition to some brouhaha over this female creative team. Suffice it to say, in the opinion of this humble reviewer, Mairghread and Sarah have written and drawn an amazing book, and it's exciting to see these two take on this Transformers story together.




Transformational Robot Art


I've read some Transformers in the past. The thing that gets to me sometimes is that the

robots all blur into each other, and I can't tell what's going on or where one robot ends and another begins. Not a problem with Stone's gorgeous art. I found myself turning pages, exploring the art, and having to go back to read. One thing is certain, if Sarah's art is in it or on it, I'll buy it.

Breaking News: You're hearing it here first. Transformers: Windblade artist Sarah Stone will be at Empire's Comics Vault's 2014 Creative Women Mini-Con in September. Stay tuned for more details.



Hardcore Robot Story


I was already on edge from the start. I've never liked Starscream, and I've always had a difficult time relating to robots. Still, I related more to these two Lady Bots than I had to bots I'd read about in other Transformers stories (although the last time I related strongly to bots was in Asimov's Robot Series).


Windblade and Chromia are well written characters. Windblade strikes me as young and unsure but sincere and responsible; while Chromia comes across as fierce, if not a little impetuous and impatient, but loyal and protective nonetheless. You'll enjoy some comical moments -- one in the bar and one about "female" robots -- and you'll enjoy a good story.

I'm looking forward to additional adventures and have already picked up the Transformers books that feature Windblade. I'm pleased to say that Scott has told what will likely be my most memorable Transformers story and sucked me back into this robot 'verse (even if only for a moment). I look forward to reading more from her.

Storyline: Transformers: Windblade, Issue 1 of 4

Writer: Mairghread Scott (Tumblr/@MairghreadScott on Twitter)
Artist: Sarah Stone (Tumblr/@fayren on Twitter)
Letterers: Chris Mowry

by Ron of the Empire

No comments:

Post a Comment